Main Moscow Attractions

What to see in Moscow

Quick facts about Moscow:

  • Time Zone: GMT +3
  • Country Dialing Code: +7 (or 007)
  • Area Code: 495 and 499
  • Electricity: 220 V, 50 Hz, two pin thin European plugs
  • Tipping: It is customary to leave a tip of 10% in restaurants

What to see near Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

  • Show All
  • Parks and Recreations
  • Sightseeing
  • Theatre
  • Shopping
  • Family
  • Religious
  • Museum
  • Zoo
Filter By:
Attractions:

  • The Alexander Garden Distance:12 minfrom Hotel

    Aleksander Garden at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

        The Alexander Garden Park was created by decree of Emperor Alexander I in honour of the victory of the Russian army in French Invasion of Russia in 1812.

        Once there was Neglinnaya river on the place where now the park is. According to the project of architect Joseph Bové the river was hidden in underground pipes, and instead of it lush gardens were planted. Initially, all three gardens —Upper, Lower and Middle — was called Kremlin ones. But 30 years after their planting in the context of city rebuilding project after the fire of 1812 the gardens were named in honor of Emperor Alexander I.

        On the site of the famous The Ruins grotto (or the Italian grotto) there was a huge earthen mountain. Instead of stone boulders on the mountain a lot of stone cannon, which were used instead of cast-iron ones, laid. In the process of building the wings of the Italian grotto were covered with wreckage of buildings that had suffered during the invasion of Napoleon's army in Moscow. In the XIX century in this grotto a live orchestra, charming the hearing of the aristocracy strolling through the park, played.

        According to the original plan of the architects Neglinka river was not going to be completely taken away under the ground. They wanted to use the part of it for the creation of artificial ponds. But this project was never implemented. However, in 1996 Moscow architect Zurab Tsereteli constructed along the fence of the Upper garden sculptural group with a fountain, which imitates the channel of the Neglinnaya river.

        The Alexander Garden became very popular after the Tomb of the unknown soldier and the Eternal flame was moved here from the Red Square. Thousands of people come to see guard relief at the first post of the country.

        The Alexander Garden Park was created by decree of Emperor Alexander I in honour of the victory of the Russian army in French Invasion of Russia in 1812.

        Once there was Neglinnaya river on the place where now the park is. According to the project of architect Joseph Bové the river was hidden in underground pipes, and instead of it lush gardens were planted. Initially, all three gardens —Upper, Lower and Middle — was called Kremlin ones. But 30 years after their planting in the context of city rebuilding project after the fire of 1812 the gardens were named in honor of Emperor Alexander I.

        On the site of the famous The Ruins grotto (or the Italian grotto) there was a huge earthen mountain. Instead of stone boulders on the mountain a lot of stone cannon, which were used instead of cast-iron ones, laid. In the process of building the wings of the Italian grotto were covered with wreckage of buildings that had suffered during the invasion of Napoleon's army in Moscow. In the XIX century in this grotto a live orchestra, charming the hearing of the aristocracy strolling through the park, played.

        According to the original plan of the architects Neglinka river was not going to be completely taken away under the ground. They wanted to use the part of it for the creation of artificial ponds. But this project was never implemented. However, in 1996 Moscow architect Zurab Tsereteli constructed along the fence of the Upper garden sculptural group with a fountain, which imitates the channel of the Neglinnaya river.

        The Alexander Garden became very popular after the Tomb of the unknown soldier and the Eternal flame was moved here from the Red Square. Thousands of people come to see guard relief at the first post of the country.

  • The Hermitage Garden Distance:10 minfrom Hotel

    Hermitage Garden at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

       The garden, which has become one of the brightest gem of Moscow, originally belonged to Lentovsky, a former actor of the Maly Theatre, and was placed on Bozhedomka street. A unique place of amusement where the nobles made a daily promenade, fell into decay by the end of the XIX century when its guardian was destroyed — the houses were built on the place where the garden used to be.

      The modern Hermitage garden is situated on the place of an old manor — on the 16th of July 1894 the land came into the possession of the merchant Shchukin, who in just a year had turned abandoned wasteland into a paradise: they planted shrubs and trees, flower beds, improved elegant benches and winding paths, leading deep into the park, and renovated an abandoned theatre, where in several years one of the first movie screening in the country was held. On its stage Sarah Bernhardt and Maria Ermolova were performed, here Feodor Chaliapin made his debut and the Moscow Art Theatre was opened with the premiere of the play Tsar Fyodor Ioannovich.

       Over the years the garden was reconstructed several times: they built a summer concert hall, installed a screen for a summer cinema and restored many buildings of historical and cultural value.

       The Hermitage garden for more than 115 years is the place that reflects the whole kaleidoscope of contemporary cultural life of the capital.

       The garden, which has become one of the brightest gem of Moscow, originally belonged to Lentovsky, a former actor of the Maly Theatre, and was placed on Bozhedomka street. A unique place of amusement where the nobles made a daily promenade, fell into decay by the end of the XIX century when its guardian was destroyed — the houses were built on the place where the garden used to be.

      The modern Hermitage garden is situated on the place of an old manor — on the 16th of July 1894 the land came into the possession of the merchant Shchukin, who in just a year had turned abandoned wasteland into a paradise: they planted shrubs and trees, flower beds, improved elegant benches and winding paths, leading deep into the park, and renovated an abandoned theatre, where in several years one of the first movie screening in the country was held. On its stage Sarah Bernhardt and Maria Ermolova were performed, here Feodor Chaliapin made his debut and the Moscow Art Theatre was opened with the premiere of the play Tsar Fyodor Ioannovich.

       Over the years the garden was reconstructed several times: they built a summer concert hall, installed a screen for a summer cinema and restored many buildings of historical and cultural value.

       The Hermitage garden for more than 115 years is the place that reflects the whole kaleidoscope of contemporary cultural life of the capital.

  • Tverskoy Boulevard Distance:8 min walkfrom Hotel

    The Tverskoy Boulevard at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • The Patriarch's Ponds (Patriarshiye Prudy) Distance:3 min walkfrom Hotel

    Patriarshiye Ponds at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

        The name Patriarshiye Ponds (Patriarch's Ponds) belongs to the only extant pond of three ones that appeared here in the XVII century. Before that all this area was the Goat Marsh. In the beginning of XVII century the residence of the Moscow Patriarch Hermogenes was built there, and at the place of the drained Goat Marsh the Patriarch's Sloboda (settlement) appeared.
        Three ponds were created in 1683. They were dug by order of the Patriarch and were intended for fish breeding. During the reign of Peter I the Patriarchate was cancelled and the local Patriarch’s sloboda began to decline. The abandoned ponds turned into smelly marshes again. Only in the early nineteenth century one of the ponds was cleaned and a green public garden was created near it. The other two marshes were filled up.
        The renovated Patriarch's ponds become a notable place in Moscow. In summer people were boating or just taking rest in the park, and in winter there was settled most popular in the city's ice rink, which was visited by Lev Tolstoy with his daughters.
        The Patriarch's ponds found its place in the well-known literary works, among which Anna Karenina by Lev Tolstoy's and The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Here the fateful meeting between Berlioz, and the poet Ivan Homeless, and Woland took place. In honour of it the sign, which warns that "It is forbidden to talk with strangers", was installed on the Patriarch’s ponds a couple of years ago.
        However, not only Bulgakov's glory, but also the wonderful atmosphere of  nature calm island amidst dusty and noisy Moscow attracts a large number of people. Just a few steps away from the bustling Big Garden street with its traffic jams and honking cars, this is a real oasis where you can spend time sitting on the bench and watching the swans on the pond, feed the ducks, or just to take a walk. In the public garden there is a funny monument of the heroes of the famous fabulist Krylov.

        The name Patriarshiye Ponds (Patriarch's Ponds) belongs to the only extant pond of three ones that appeared here in the XVII century. Before that all this area was the Goat Marsh. In the beginning of XVII century the residence of the Moscow Patriarch Hermogenes was built there, and at the place of the drained Goat Marsh the Patriarch's Sloboda (settlement) appeared.
        Three ponds were created in 1683. They were dug by order of the Patriarch and were intended for fish breeding. During the reign of Peter I the Patriarchate was cancelled and the local Patriarch’s sloboda began to decline. The abandoned ponds turned into smelly marshes again. Only in the early nineteenth century one of the ponds was cleaned and a green public garden was created near it. The other two marshes were filled up.
        The renovated Patriarch's ponds become a notable place in Moscow. In summer people were boating or just taking rest in the park, and in winter there was settled most popular in the city's ice rink, which was visited by Lev Tolstoy with his daughters.
        The Patriarch's ponds found its place in the well-known literary works, among which Anna Karenina by Lev Tolstoy's and The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Here the fateful meeting between Berlioz, and the poet Ivan Homeless, and Woland took place. In honour of it the sign, which warns that "It is forbidden to talk with strangers", was installed on the Patriarch’s ponds a couple of years ago.
        However, not only Bulgakov's glory, but also the wonderful atmosphere of  nature calm island amidst dusty and noisy Moscow attracts a large number of people. Just a few steps away from the bustling Big Garden street with its traffic jams and honking cars, this is a real oasis where you can spend time sitting on the bench and watching the swans on the pond, feed the ducks, or just to take a walk. In the public garden there is a funny monument of the heroes of the famous fabulist Krylov.

  • Kremlin Embankment

    Kremlin Embankment at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

       Here the main attractions of the capital are located: the Kremlin and the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos on the Moat, commonly known as St. Basil's Cathedral. This was the first stone embankment in Moscow. One can see wonderful panorama of the Moscow river and the main decoration of the embankment — the Moscow Kremlin. In the south-west of the Kremlin the Vodovzvodnaya tower is situated, built in 1488 by the architect Fryazin. The Taynitskaya tower was built in 1485 upon the project of the same architect, a secret passage to the river was made through it. Then there are the Bezymyannye, Petrovskaya and Moskvoretskaya towers.

       From the embankment you can see the Red Square and Vasilevsky Spusk square in all its glory. Really this place blooms at night, when the many lights are reflected in the water and create a magical picture of the night city. This is the calling card and one of the most beautiful monuments of Moscow history and architecture.The Alexander garden with Eternal flame at the Tomb of the Unknown soldier looks on the embankment. Centuries ago the embankment looked quite different. It was a road along the Kremlin walls. The city grew; the embankment was transformed and expanded.

        There were times when bund walls and bastions to repel the attacks of the Swedes were built on this bank. The road under the wall led to the ford across the river, and then to the bridge. For more than 50 years the embankment served as a garbage dump, then was sheathed with logs, after that with stone. Since 1936 it has granite finish of sloped retaining wall, which we can see now. At the end of the nineteenth century horse tram went there, and in early twentieth century — tram.

       Here the main attractions of the capital are located: the Kremlin and the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos on the Moat, commonly known as St. Basil's Cathedral. This was the first stone embankment in Moscow. One can see wonderful panorama of the Moscow river and the main decoration of the embankment — the Moscow Kremlin. In the south-west of the Kremlin the Vodovzvodnaya tower is situated, built in 1488 by the architect Fryazin. The Taynitskaya tower was built in 1485 upon the project of the same architect, a secret passage to the river was made through it. Then there are the Bezymyannye, Petrovskaya and Moskvoretskaya towers.

       From the embankment you can see the Red Square and Vasilevsky Spusk square in all its glory. Really this place blooms at night, when the many lights are reflected in the water and create a magical picture of the night city. This is the calling card and one of the most beautiful monuments of Moscow history and architecture.The Alexander garden with Eternal flame at the Tomb of the Unknown soldier looks on the embankment. Centuries ago the embankment looked quite different. It was a road along the Kremlin walls. The city grew; the embankment was transformed and expanded.

        There were times when bund walls and bastions to repel the attacks of the Swedes were built on this bank. The road under the wall led to the ford across the river, and then to the bridge. For more than 50 years the embankment served as a garbage dump, then was sheathed with logs, after that with stone. Since 1936 it has granite finish of sloped retaining wall, which we can see now. At the end of the nineteenth century horse tram went there, and in early twentieth century — tram.

  • The Eliseevsky Shop

    Eliseevsky Shop at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

     It is the most famous in Moscow the shop of the merchant Eliseev.

      Built in 1890, it was called Eliseev’s Shop and Cellar of Russian and Foreign Wines. People respected this shop a lot because its sellers have never been convicted of fraud, sale of expired food or false weight. There were richly decorated halls, moldings, the cold spring under the central round counter, sellers knew several languages, home delivery service was working.

    Before 1991 the shop was known as the Deli №1.

    In 2003 the shop was restored basing on the sketches of Grigory Eliseev.

     It is the most famous in Moscow the shop of the merchant Eliseev.

      Built in 1890, it was called Eliseev’s Shop and Cellar of Russian and Foreign Wines. People respected this shop a lot because its sellers have never been convicted of fraud, sale of expired food or false weight. There were richly decorated halls, moldings, the cold spring under the central round counter, sellers knew several languages, home delivery service was working.

    Before 1991 the shop was known as the Deli №1.

    In 2003 the shop was restored basing on the sketches of Grigory Eliseev.

  • The Kremlin Distance:9 minfrom Hotel

    The Kremlin at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • Red Square Distance:17 minfrom Hotel

    The Red Square at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • Cathedral of Christ the Savior Distance:12 minfrom Hotel

    Cathedral of Christ the Savior at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • Revolution Square (Ploshchad Revolutsii) Distance:13 minfrom Hotel

    Revolution Square Ploshchad Revolutsii at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • The Moscow White House (Bely Dom) Distance:18 minfrom Hotel

    Moscow White House Bely Dom at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • Old Arbat (Stary Arbat) Distance:12 minfrom Hotel

    Old Arbat Stary Arbat at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • The Yury Dolgoruky Monument Distance:7  minfrom Hotel

    Yury Dolgoruky Monument at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • Pushkin Square Distance:13 min walkfrom Hotel

    Pushkin Square at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • The Stanislavsky and Nemirovich - Dachenko Musical Theater

    Stanislavsky and Nemirovich U2013 Dachenko Musical Theater at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • The Moscow Conservatory Distance:13 min walkfrom Hotel

    The Moscow Conservatory at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • The Pushkin Moscow Drama Theater Distance:8 min walkfrom Hotel

    Pushkin Theater at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • The Tchaikovsky Concert Hall Distance:14 min walkfrom Hotel

    Tchaikovsky Concert Hall at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • The Bolshoi Theatre Distance:15 minfrom Hotel

    Bolshoi Theatre at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • The Drama Theater on Malaya Bronnaya Street Distance:2 minfrom Hotel

    Drama Theater on Malaya Bronnaya at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • TsUM (Central Department Store)

    TSUM at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

    Antique department store and one of the largest department stores in Europe. The most fashionable and world-famous Central department store in Moscow is not only luxurious perfumes and clothes. The fact that this is a real historical monument of the capital.

        TsUM is located in a historic building that once was bought by two American merchants - Muir & Mirrielees Trade Company. In 1885 it was an ordinary department store where clothes, toys, and perfumes were sold. Today there is Veuve Clicquot champagne bar, a cigar room and a famous deli. Also in TsUM a variety of art exhibitions is held – contemporary art, Chinese art, and yet Yoko Yono’ works were exhibited here. Celebrities visited TsUM on several occasions: Mila Jovovich, Victoria Beckham, Naomi Campbell and others. It doesn't matter why you go to TsUM: to shop, to see stars or as in a museum. You will always find something interesting.

    Antique department store and one of the largest department stores in Europe. The most fashionable and world-famous Central department store in Moscow is not only luxurious perfumes and clothes. The fact that this is a real historical monument of the capital.

        TsUM is located in a historic building that once was bought by two American merchants - Muir & Mirrielees Trade Company. In 1885 it was an ordinary department store where clothes, toys, and perfumes were sold. Today there is Veuve Clicquot champagne bar, a cigar room and a famous deli. Also in TsUM a variety of art exhibitions is held – contemporary art, Chinese art, and yet Yoko Yono’ works were exhibited here. Celebrities visited TsUM on several occasions: Mila Jovovich, Victoria Beckham, Naomi Campbell and others. It doesn't matter why you go to TsUM: to shop, to see stars or as in a museum. You will always find something interesting.

  • Stoleshnikov lane

    Stoleshnikov lane at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

        Boutiques of the most expensive brands in the world are placed on this small pedestrian street.

        The earliest reference of Stoleshnikov lane is dated back to the early XVI century.  The lane is called Stoleshnikov because of weavers who lived here were engaged in the production of tablecloths for the tsar's court. (They were called Stoleshniki in Russian).

       Since XVIII century this cozy street began to attract members of the Moscow nobility. After some time metropolitan elite almost completely occupied Stoleshnikov lane. Old wooden buildings, which were located here for many years, were transferred; stone chambers of the upper class were erected instead.

       War of 1812 made significant changes in the architectural appearance of Moscow and Stoleshnikov lane. After the fire, the biggest one in the long history of the Russian capital, which happened through the fault of the French soldiers, all wooden buildings, densely placed along the lane, were destroyed. After that all the buildings in the lane were built of stone.

       In the second half of the XIX century Stoleshnikov lane began to turn into a burse. Over the years many shops of all kinds were situated here: from all over Moscow rich men with their wives came to get on sale. People of lesser prosperity came too.

       After the Revolution of 1917 when Bolsheviks came to power, all shops were converted into warehouses. However, when communism regime had finished, Stoleshnikov lane opened its windows again.

       Today the lane is popular not only for shopping, but it is also ideal for romantic dates and walks around the historical center of Moscow.

        Boutiques of the most expensive brands in the world are placed on this small pedestrian street.

        The earliest reference of Stoleshnikov lane is dated back to the early XVI century.  The lane is called Stoleshnikov because of weavers who lived here were engaged in the production of tablecloths for the tsar's court. (They were called Stoleshniki in Russian).

       Since XVIII century this cozy street began to attract members of the Moscow nobility. After some time metropolitan elite almost completely occupied Stoleshnikov lane. Old wooden buildings, which were located here for many years, were transferred; stone chambers of the upper class were erected instead.

       War of 1812 made significant changes in the architectural appearance of Moscow and Stoleshnikov lane. After the fire, the biggest one in the long history of the Russian capital, which happened through the fault of the French soldiers, all wooden buildings, densely placed along the lane, were destroyed. After that all the buildings in the lane were built of stone.

       In the second half of the XIX century Stoleshnikov lane began to turn into a burse. Over the years many shops of all kinds were situated here: from all over Moscow rich men with their wives came to get on sale. People of lesser prosperity came too.

       After the Revolution of 1917 when Bolsheviks came to power, all shops were converted into warehouses. However, when communism regime had finished, Stoleshnikov lane opened its windows again.

       Today the lane is popular not only for shopping, but it is also ideal for romantic dates and walks around the historical center of Moscow.

  • GUM Department Store Distance:18 minfrom Hotel

    GUM at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • Planetarium Distance:18 minfrom Hotel

    Planetarium at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • Anglican Church of St. Andrew

    The Anglican Cathedral of St.Andrew at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

       The Anglican Church of St. Andrew was built in 1892-1894 by the British architect Neil Freeman. Some time after the construction of the Church the architect Freudenberg proposed the project of two-storey house for the priest. On the side wall under the plaster image of Saint George and heraldic symbols of England, Scotland and Ireland —rose, thistle and clover — one can see the following inscription: Built for St Andrew's church in memory of Robert McGill by his widow. 1894 AD.

       Also in memory of her husband Jane McGill built the British hotel - St. Andrew’s House - on Spiridonievsky lane, which she donated to the Anglican Church for British nationals. Today this building is Marco Polo Presnja Hotel.

       Since 1884 the church became the center of life of the adherents of Anglican religious culture. To look at the only church of this kind British Quinn visited Moscow. Now charity concerts involving Russian and foreign most eminent musicians are held in the church of St. Andrew. Organ music and unsurpassed acoustics will be interesting to all guests.

       The Anglican Church of St. Andrew was built in 1892-1894 by the British architect Neil Freeman. Some time after the construction of the Church the architect Freudenberg proposed the project of two-storey house for the priest. On the side wall under the plaster image of Saint George and heraldic symbols of England, Scotland and Ireland —rose, thistle and clover — one can see the following inscription: Built for St Andrew's church in memory of Robert McGill by his widow. 1894 AD.

       Also in memory of her husband Jane McGill built the British hotel - St. Andrew’s House - on Spiridonievsky lane, which she donated to the Anglican Church for British nationals. Today this building is Marco Polo Presnja Hotel.

       Since 1884 the church became the center of life of the adherents of Anglican religious culture. To look at the only church of this kind British Quinn visited Moscow. Now charity concerts involving Russian and foreign most eminent musicians are held in the church of St. Andrew. Organ music and unsurpassed acoustics will be interesting to all guests.

  • St. Basil's Cathedral

    The Cathedral of St.Basil at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

        The real name of it is the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos on the Moat, but it is commonly known as St. Basil's Cathedral. There are several legends about creators of the church: according one of it, the cathedral was built by a master from Pskov - Postnik Yakovlev, according to another, the building had two architects - Postnik and Barma, and the third version tells that an architect was an unknown Italian master, who had combined canons of Russian and West European architecture oddly.


        The cathedral was built by order of Ivan the Terrible as the memory of the capture of Kazan in 1555-1561. The legend says that when the tsar saw the result, he was so amazed by the beauty of the church that he ordered to blind the architect, so he couldn't create anything as beautiful as St. Basil’s Cathedral was.


        The cathedral has unique architecture: it represents 9 independent pillar churches, each of which is named in honor of the holidays when the days of decisive battles in Kazan took place. On the inside they are united with a common basis and a bypass gallery. The cathedral has wonderful interior - there are icon-painting and monumental painting from the XVI century, based on which the history of the development of Russian icon-painting art can be traced back more than for 4 centuries.


        The architects chose brick as the material for the construction; it was quite rare for the XVI century. It was a bold innovation, because at that time more traditional materials, like cut stone or tile, were usually used for the erection of such buildings. The main distinguishing feature of this architectural masterpiece is that there is no clearly defined facade in its design; in short, you can come to each side of the cathedral, and this side will look like it is the main one.


        The height of the church is around 65 meters, so for many years this building was the highest in Moscow. Throughout its long history the cathedral was repainted and restored many times.

        The real name of it is the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos on the Moat, but it is commonly known as St. Basil's Cathedral. There are several legends about creators of the church: according one of it, the cathedral was built by a master from Pskov - Postnik Yakovlev, according to another, the building had two architects - Postnik and Barma, and the third version tells that an architect was an unknown Italian master, who had combined canons of Russian and West European architecture oddly.


        The cathedral was built by order of Ivan the Terrible as the memory of the capture of Kazan in 1555-1561. The legend says that when the tsar saw the result, he was so amazed by the beauty of the church that he ordered to blind the architect, so he couldn't create anything as beautiful as St. Basil’s Cathedral was.


        The cathedral has unique architecture: it represents 9 independent pillar churches, each of which is named in honor of the holidays when the days of decisive battles in Kazan took place. On the inside they are united with a common basis and a bypass gallery. The cathedral has wonderful interior - there are icon-painting and monumental painting from the XVI century, based on which the history of the development of Russian icon-painting art can be traced back more than for 4 centuries.


        The architects chose brick as the material for the construction; it was quite rare for the XVI century. It was a bold innovation, because at that time more traditional materials, like cut stone or tile, were usually used for the erection of such buildings. The main distinguishing feature of this architectural masterpiece is that there is no clearly defined facade in its design; in short, you can come to each side of the cathedral, and this side will look like it is the main one.


        The height of the church is around 65 meters, so for many years this building was the highest in Moscow. Throughout its long history the cathedral was repainted and restored many times.

  • Church of Christ's Ascension (where A. Pushkin and N. Goncharova were married) Distance:9 minfrom Hotel

    The Greater Church of Christ's Ascension (where A. Pushkin and N. Goncharova married) at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • Synagogue on Bolshaya Bronnaya Street Distance:2 min walkfrom Hotel

    The Synagogue on Bolshaya Bronnaya Street at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • The Cathedrals of the Kremlin Distance:16 minfrom Hotel

    The Cathedrals of the Kremlin at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • The Museum of the East

    The Museum of the East at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • The Zoological Museum of Moscow University Distance:8 minfrom Hotel

    The Zoological Museum of Moscow University at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • The House of Icons

    The House of Icons at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • The New Manezh (The Novy Manezh)

    Novy Manezh at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • The Bulgakov's Museum (The Haunted Flat) Distance:8minfrom Hotel

    The Bulgakov Museum in Moscow Odd Flat at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

       Well-known by the Master and Margarita novel, the Haunted Flat № 50 in house 302-bis on Bolshaya Sadovaya street, where Woland lived, has a prototype. This is an apartment of Mikhail Bulgakov on Bolshaya Sadovaya street, 10.
       Nowadays the Haunted Flat is Bulgakov’s Museum. This is a former communal apartment with a long corridor and rooms on both sides, every of which is unique.
       The First Moscow Room, The Blue Room, The Editorial Office, The Kitchen are expositions, representing the life of Bulgakov in the years of his residence on Bolshaya Sadovaya street. The writer’s workplace is a desk with a lamp that stands under a bookshelf with sphinxes, supporting it from below.
    At first sight one can see a lot of books, Mikhail had extraordinary passion to them, unusual even for a writer.
       The Blue Cabinet became the embodiment of Bulgakov’s old dream – he always wanted to have a room with blue walls. For him it was the perfect place to work, so here the most famous writer's works were created.
    The Kitchen fully reflects the life of that period: tanks with kerosene, oil stoves, pots and other household items.
       In the entrance of Bulgakov's apartment visitors leave pictures, inscriptions and wishes: the walls are full of them on all floors. They believe that every wish written here will become true.

       Well-known by the Master and Margarita novel, the Haunted Flat № 50 in house 302-bis on Bolshaya Sadovaya street, where Woland lived, has a prototype. This is an apartment of Mikhail Bulgakov on Bolshaya Sadovaya street, 10.
       Nowadays the Haunted Flat is Bulgakov’s Museum. This is a former communal apartment with a long corridor and rooms on both sides, every of which is unique.
       The First Moscow Room, The Blue Room, The Editorial Office, The Kitchen are expositions, representing the life of Bulgakov in the years of his residence on Bolshaya Sadovaya street. The writer’s workplace is a desk with a lamp that stands under a bookshelf with sphinxes, supporting it from below.
    At first sight one can see a lot of books, Mikhail had extraordinary passion to them, unusual even for a writer.
       The Blue Cabinet became the embodiment of Bulgakov’s old dream – he always wanted to have a room with blue walls. For him it was the perfect place to work, so here the most famous writer's works were created.
    The Kitchen fully reflects the life of that period: tanks with kerosene, oil stoves, pots and other household items.
       In the entrance of Bulgakov's apartment visitors leave pictures, inscriptions and wishes: the walls are full of them on all floors. They believe that every wish written here will become true.

  • The State Historical Museum Distance:10 minfrom Hotel

    State Historical Museum at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • The Pushkin House-Museum on Arbat Street Distance:9 minfrom Hotel

    Pushkin House Museum on Arbat at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel
  • Moscow Zoo Distance:13 minfrom Hotel

    Moscow Zoo at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The Pushkin House-Museum on Arbat Street

Distance: 9 min from Hotel
Pushkin House Museum on Arbat at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The State Historical Museum

Distance: 10 min from Hotel
State Historical Museum at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The Bulgakov's Museum (The Haunted Flat)

Distance: 8min from Hotel
The Bulgakov Museum in Moscow Odd Flat at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

   Well-known by the Master and Margarita novel, the Haunted Flat № 50 in house 302-bis on Bolshaya Sadovaya street, where Woland lived, has a prototype. This is an apartment of Mikhail Bulgakov on Bolshaya Sadovaya street, 10.
   Nowadays the Haunted Flat is Bulgakov’s Museum. This is a former communal apartment with a long corridor and rooms on both sides, every of which is unique.
   The First Moscow Room, The Blue Room, The Editorial Office, The Kitchen are expositions, representing the life of Bulgakov in the years of his residence on Bolshaya Sadovaya street. The writer’s workplace is a desk with a lamp that stands under a bookshelf with sphinxes, supporting it from below.
At first sight one can see a lot of books, Mikhail had extraordinary passion to them, unusual even for a writer.
   The Blue Cabinet became the embodiment of Bulgakov’s old dream – he always wanted to have a room with blue walls. For him it was the perfect place to work, so here the most famous writer's works were created.
The Kitchen fully reflects the life of that period: tanks with kerosene, oil stoves, pots and other household items.
   In the entrance of Bulgakov's apartment visitors leave pictures, inscriptions and wishes: the walls are full of them on all floors. They believe that every wish written here will become true.

The New Manezh (The Novy Manezh)

Novy Manezh at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The Drama Theater on Malaya Bronnaya Street

Distance: 2 min from Hotel
Drama Theater on Malaya Bronnaya at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The House of Icons

The Anglican Cathedral of St.Andrew at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The Zoological Museum of Moscow University

Distance: 8 min from Hotel
The Zoological Museum of Moscow University at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The Museum of the East

The Museum of the East at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The Bolshoi Theatre

Distance: 15 min from Hotel
Bolshoi Theatre at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The Tchaikovsky Concert Hall

Distance: 14 min walk from Hotel
Tchaikovsky Concert Hall at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The Pushkin Moscow Drama Theater

Distance: 8 min walk from Hotel
Pushkin Theater at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The Moscow Conservatory

Distance: 13 min walk from Hotel
The Moscow Conservatory at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The Stanislavsky and Nemirovich - Dachenko Musical Theater

Stanislavsky and Nemirovich U2013 Dachenko Musical Theater at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The Cathedrals of the Kremlin

Distance: 16 min from Hotel
The Cathedrals of the Kremlin at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

Synagogue on Bolshaya Bronnaya Street

Distance: 2 min walk from Hotel
The Synagogue on Bolshaya Bronnaya Street at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

Church of Christ's Ascension (where A. Pushkin and N. Goncharova were married)

Distance: 9 min from Hotel
The Greater Church of Christ's Ascension (where A. Pushkin and N. Goncharova married) at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

GUM Department Store

Distance: 18 min from Hotel
GUM at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

Pushkin Square

Distance: 13 min walk from Hotel
Pushkin Square at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The Yury Dolgoruky Monument

Distance: 7  min from Hotel
Yury Dolgoruky Monument at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

Old Arbat (Stary Arbat)

Distance: 12 min from Hotel
Old Arbat Stary Arbat at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The Moscow White House (Bely Dom)

Distance: 18 min from Hotel
Moscow White House Bely Dom at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

Revolution Square (Ploshchad Revolutsii)

Distance: 13 min from Hotel
Revolution Square Ploshchad Revolutsii at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

Cathedral of Christ the Savior

Distance: 12 min from Hotel
Cathedral of Christ the Savior at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

Red Square

Distance: 17 min from Hotel
The Red Square at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The Kremlin

Distance: 9 min from Hotel
The Kremlin at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The Patriarch's Ponds (Patriarshiye Prudy)

Distance: 3 min walk from Hotel
Patriarshiye Ponds at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

    The name Patriarshiye Ponds (Patriarch's Ponds) belongs to the only extant pond of three ones that appeared here in the XVII century. Before that all this area was the Goat Marsh. In the beginning of XVII century the residence of the Moscow Patriarch Hermogenes was built there, and at the place of the drained Goat Marsh the Patriarch's Sloboda (settlement) appeared.
    Three ponds were created in 1683. They were dug by order of the Patriarch and were intended for fish breeding. During the reign of Peter I the Patriarchate was cancelled and the local Patriarch’s sloboda began to decline. The abandoned ponds turned into smelly marshes again. Only in the early nineteenth century one of the ponds was cleaned and a green public garden was created near it. The other two marshes were filled up.
    The renovated Patriarch's ponds become a notable place in Moscow. In summer people were boating or just taking rest in the park, and in winter there was settled most popular in the city's ice rink, which was visited by Lev Tolstoy with his daughters.
    The Patriarch's ponds found its place in the well-known literary works, among which Anna Karenina by Lev Tolstoy's and The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Here the fateful meeting between Berlioz, and the poet Ivan Homeless, and Woland took place. In honour of it the sign, which warns that "It is forbidden to talk with strangers", was installed on the Patriarch’s ponds a couple of years ago.
    However, not only Bulgakov's glory, but also the wonderful atmosphere of  nature calm island amidst dusty and noisy Moscow attracts a large number of people. Just a few steps away from the bustling Big Garden street with its traffic jams and honking cars, this is a real oasis where you can spend time sitting on the bench and watching the swans on the pond, feed the ducks, or just to take a walk. In the public garden there is a funny monument of the heroes of the famous fabulist Krylov.

Tverskoy Boulevard

Distance: 8 min walk from Hotel
The Tverskoy Boulevard at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

The Hermitage Garden

Distance: 10 min from Hotel
Hermitage Garden at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

   The garden, which has become one of the brightest gem of Moscow, originally belonged to Lentovsky, a former actor of the Maly Theatre, and was placed on Bozhedomka street. A unique place of amusement where the nobles made a daily promenade, fell into decay by the end of the XIX century when its guardian was destroyed — the houses were built on the place where the garden used to be.

  The modern Hermitage garden is situated on the place of an old manor — on the 16th of July 1894 the land came into the possession of the merchant Shchukin, who in just a year had turned abandoned wasteland into a paradise: they planted shrubs and trees, flower beds, improved elegant benches and winding paths, leading deep into the park, and renovated an abandoned theatre, where in several years one of the first movie screening in the country was held. On its stage Sarah Bernhardt and Maria Ermolova were performed, here Feodor Chaliapin made his debut and the Moscow Art Theatre was opened with the premiere of the play Tsar Fyodor Ioannovich.

   Over the years the garden was reconstructed several times: they built a summer concert hall, installed a screen for a summer cinema and restored many buildings of historical and cultural value.

   The Hermitage garden for more than 115 years is the place that reflects the whole kaleidoscope of contemporary cultural life of the capital.

The Alexander Garden

Distance: 12 min from Hotel
Aleksander Garden at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

    The Alexander Garden Park was created by decree of Emperor Alexander I in honour of the victory of the Russian army in French Invasion of Russia in 1812.

    Once there was Neglinnaya river on the place where now the park is. According to the project of architect Joseph Bové the river was hidden in underground pipes, and instead of it lush gardens were planted. Initially, all three gardens —Upper, Lower and Middle — was called Kremlin ones. But 30 years after their planting in the context of city rebuilding project after the fire of 1812 the gardens were named in honor of Emperor Alexander I.

    On the site of the famous The Ruins grotto (or the Italian grotto) there was a huge earthen mountain. Instead of stone boulders on the mountain a lot of stone cannon, which were used instead of cast-iron ones, laid. In the process of building the wings of the Italian grotto were covered with wreckage of buildings that had suffered during the invasion of Napoleon's army in Moscow. In the XIX century in this grotto a live orchestra, charming the hearing of the aristocracy strolling through the park, played.

    According to the original plan of the architects Neglinka river was not going to be completely taken away under the ground. They wanted to use the part of it for the creation of artificial ponds. But this project was never implemented. However, in 1996 Moscow architect Zurab Tsereteli constructed along the fence of the Upper garden sculptural group with a fountain, which imitates the channel of the Neglinnaya river.

    The Alexander Garden became very popular after the Tomb of the unknown soldier and the Eternal flame was moved here from the Red Square. Thousands of people come to see guard relief at the first post of the country.

Planetarium

Distance: 18 min from Hotel
Planetarium at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

Moscow Zoo

Distance: 13 min from Hotel
Moscow Zoo at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

St. Basil's Cathedral

The Cathedral of St.Basil at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

    The real name of it is the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos on the Moat, but it is commonly known as St. Basil's Cathedral. There are several legends about creators of the church: according one of it, the cathedral was built by a master from Pskov - Postnik Yakovlev, according to another, the building had two architects - Postnik and Barma, and the third version tells that an architect was an unknown Italian master, who had combined canons of Russian and West European architecture oddly.


    The cathedral was built by order of Ivan the Terrible as the memory of the capture of Kazan in 1555-1561. The legend says that when the tsar saw the result, he was so amazed by the beauty of the church that he ordered to blind the architect, so he couldn't create anything as beautiful as St. Basil’s Cathedral was.


    The cathedral has unique architecture: it represents 9 independent pillar churches, each of which is named in honor of the holidays when the days of decisive battles in Kazan took place. On the inside they are united with a common basis and a bypass gallery. The cathedral has wonderful interior - there are icon-painting and monumental painting from the XVI century, based on which the history of the development of Russian icon-painting art can be traced back more than for 4 centuries.


    The architects chose brick as the material for the construction; it was quite rare for the XVI century. It was a bold innovation, because at that time more traditional materials, like cut stone or tile, were usually used for the erection of such buildings. The main distinguishing feature of this architectural masterpiece is that there is no clearly defined facade in its design; in short, you can come to each side of the cathedral, and this side will look like it is the main one.


    The height of the church is around 65 meters, so for many years this building was the highest in Moscow. Throughout its long history the cathedral was repainted and restored many times.

Anglican Church of St. Andrew

The Anglican Cathedral of St.Andrew at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

   The Anglican Church of St. Andrew was built in 1892-1894 by the British architect Neil Freeman. Some time after the construction of the Church the architect Freudenberg proposed the project of two-storey house for the priest. On the side wall under the plaster image of Saint George and heraldic symbols of England, Scotland and Ireland —rose, thistle and clover — one can see the following inscription: Built for St Andrew's church in memory of Robert McGill by his widow. 1894 AD.

   Also in memory of her husband Jane McGill built the British hotel - St. Andrew’s House - on Spiridonievsky lane, which she donated to the Anglican Church for British nationals. Today this building is Marco Polo Presnja Hotel.

   Since 1884 the church became the center of life of the adherents of Anglican religious culture. To look at the only church of this kind British Quinn visited Moscow. Now charity concerts involving Russian and foreign most eminent musicians are held in the church of St. Andrew. Organ music and unsurpassed acoustics will be interesting to all guests.

Stoleshnikov lane

Stoleshnikov lane at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

    Boutiques of the most expensive brands in the world are placed on this small pedestrian street.

    The earliest reference of Stoleshnikov lane is dated back to the early XVI century.  The lane is called Stoleshnikov because of weavers who lived here were engaged in the production of tablecloths for the tsar's court. (They were called Stoleshniki in Russian).

   Since XVIII century this cozy street began to attract members of the Moscow nobility. After some time metropolitan elite almost completely occupied Stoleshnikov lane. Old wooden buildings, which were located here for many years, were transferred; stone chambers of the upper class were erected instead.

   War of 1812 made significant changes in the architectural appearance of Moscow and Stoleshnikov lane. After the fire, the biggest one in the long history of the Russian capital, which happened through the fault of the French soldiers, all wooden buildings, densely placed along the lane, were destroyed. After that all the buildings in the lane were built of stone.

   In the second half of the XIX century Stoleshnikov lane began to turn into a burse. Over the years many shops of all kinds were situated here: from all over Moscow rich men with their wives came to get on sale. People of lesser prosperity came too.

   After the Revolution of 1917 when Bolsheviks came to power, all shops were converted into warehouses. However, when communism regime had finished, Stoleshnikov lane opened its windows again.

   Today the lane is popular not only for shopping, but it is also ideal for romantic dates and walks around the historical center of Moscow.

The Eliseevsky Shop

Eliseevsky Shop at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

 It is the most famous in Moscow the shop of the merchant Eliseev.

  Built in 1890, it was called Eliseev’s Shop and Cellar of Russian and Foreign Wines. People respected this shop a lot because its sellers have never been convicted of fraud, sale of expired food or false weight. There were richly decorated halls, moldings, the cold spring under the central round counter, sellers knew several languages, home delivery service was working.

Before 1991 the shop was known as the Deli №1.

In 2003 the shop was restored basing on the sketches of Grigory Eliseev.

Kremlin Embankment

Kremlin Embankment at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

   Here the main attractions of the capital are located: the Kremlin and the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos on the Moat, commonly known as St. Basil's Cathedral. This was the first stone embankment in Moscow. One can see wonderful panorama of the Moscow river and the main decoration of the embankment — the Moscow Kremlin. In the south-west of the Kremlin the Vodovzvodnaya tower is situated, built in 1488 by the architect Fryazin. The Taynitskaya tower was built in 1485 upon the project of the same architect, a secret passage to the river was made through it. Then there are the Bezymyannye, Petrovskaya and Moskvoretskaya towers.

   From the embankment you can see the Red Square and Vasilevsky Spusk square in all its glory. Really this place blooms at night, when the many lights are reflected in the water and create a magical picture of the night city. This is the calling card and one of the most beautiful monuments of Moscow history and architecture.The Alexander garden with Eternal flame at the Tomb of the Unknown soldier looks on the embankment. Centuries ago the embankment looked quite different. It was a road along the Kremlin walls. The city grew; the embankment was transformed and expanded.

    There were times when bund walls and bastions to repel the attacks of the Swedes were built on this bank. The road under the wall led to the ford across the river, and then to the bridge. For more than 50 years the embankment served as a garbage dump, then was sheathed with logs, after that with stone. Since 1936 it has granite finish of sloped retaining wall, which we can see now. At the end of the nineteenth century horse tram went there, and in early twentieth century — tram.

TsUM (Central Department Store)

TSUM at Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

Antique department store and one of the largest department stores in Europe. The most fashionable and world-famous Central department store in Moscow is not only luxurious perfumes and clothes. The fact that this is a real historical monument of the capital.

    TsUM is located in a historic building that once was bought by two American merchants - Muir & Mirrielees Trade Company. In 1885 it was an ordinary department store where clothes, toys, and perfumes were sold. Today there is Veuve Clicquot champagne bar, a cigar room and a famous deli. Also in TsUM a variety of art exhibitions is held – contemporary art, Chinese art, and yet Yoko Yono’ works were exhibited here. Celebrities visited TsUM on several occasions: Mila Jovovich, Victoria Beckham, Naomi Campbell and others. It doesn't matter why you go to TsUM: to shop, to see stars or as in a museum. You will always find something interesting.

Marco Polo Presnja Hotel

Spiridonjevskij per., 9, bld. 1
Moscow
Russia

How To Get From

Search